Monday, August 25, 2008

Where to find MCM furniture and accessories in Dallas

Here is a list of my favorite places to scout and new MCM furniture:

1. Century Modern in Deep Ellum - We have bought a couch, two club chairs, some bent plywood chairs, and Eames lounge chair and a Danish style teak credenza. The owners are extremely nice and their prices are quite reasonable.

2. Lula B's Antique Mall on Lower Greenville Ave. - Be prepared to spend some time picking through stuff and go back often. Not a lot of "designer" furniture, but they do have a selection of furniture and accessories from the time 50s-60s.

3. Collage on Industrial Ave. - This place has some beautiful pieces. Mostly high end and in pristine vintage condition. I like to browse through here, but unfortunately I can't afford much of what they sell.

4. Smink in Inwood Village - You will find new editions of classic MCM furniture. Think Saarinen tables, Knoll credenzas, Eames lounge chairs.

5. Design Within Reach on McKinney Ave. - You will also find new editions of classic MCM furniture here, in addition to new modern designs. Get on their mailing list - they periodically will have evening receptions with wine and food to introduce new furniture lines or have speakers talking about architecture and design in Dallas.

6. Craigslist - I troll craigslist a few times a week. I have picked up the Case Study bed from Modernica, 6 original Eames fiberglass chairs, and a 50s dinette set. My favorite search terms: Eames, mid-century, Danish, teak, Herman Miller, Saarinen, Knoll, Heywood Wakefield, art deco.

7. Ebay - When looking for furniture I use the advance search function to limit my search to my local geographical area. This is where I pick up my Viking glass vases and search for Blenko glass.

8. Metro Retro Furniture in Pasadena, TX - This place is near Houston. I haven't been to his warehouse yet, but just from browsing his website, he has one of the largest inventories of MCM period furniture I have seen.

No comments: